Apache vs. Nginx vs Litespeed and Why?

DigiDataDigiData Shared Hoster
edited July 2021 in Hosting Discussion & News

Nginx vs Apache vs. Litespeed

I have read plenty of comparison articles between the two main players when it comes to web hosting.

I host a small website for the video game servers I host.

I have used Nginx on Ubuntu (familiarity over RedHat/CentOS) for years and have become familiar with its configurations. The lack of (comprehendible) documentation and scarcity of developer support for Nginx is my single complaint.

I don't plan on switching myself, but I am wondering:

Which do you use and why?
Which is easier to configure and setup security settings? (on a Linux system)
Do large corporations use either of these (or both)?
The biggest companies have proprietary software of course (GWS, AWS, etc.)
Does one offer specific functionality over the other?
e.g: Apache is good for hosting web forums, nginx is better for hosting photos... (fake examples of course).
Does one work better in specific hardware environments?
e.g: Certain CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD types | OS

Finally, when it comes to hosting a small web server and web panel to control servers that are publicly facing - which is best? (I host AMP if you care)

I look forward to this discussion - I am glad I found this subreddit! I've been stuck alone with stack overflow answers from 8 years ago!

DeluxeNames

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    edited July 2021

On one busy server, we had installed LiteSpeed (with over 500 cPanel accounts) during peak times and thought it'd be useful to grab a before and after of their daily average load to show off one of the main claimed features of LiteSpeed of reducing server load.

Not only has it improved website performance but it has pretty much reduced the servers average load by over half.

I recommend others enable LSCache on their sites.