What Problems When Leaving Shared for VPS?

GOBGOB BeginerNAT Warrior

Leaving shared hosting for VPS: Should I be worried about anything?

I have a few sites with very little traffic and no revenue - mostly just hosting Wordpress instances for friends.

I'm planning to move off of a Shared Host and try out a VPS. I'm pretty comfortable that I'll be able to set up a LAMP server and Wordpress multi-site. I also plan to run a few React apps and possible a Node.js API.

I'm currently considering either AWS Lightsail, A2Hosting, or Kamatera, all of which seem to be a good price for my small requirements. Questions for you:

1) When it comes to a VPS, is it essentially the same as having my own Linux machine? For example, if I choose the Lightsail 'Wordpress' app + OS upon initial installation, would I still be able to install, for example, a Minecraft server? I just want to confirm that there aren't any choices upon installation that will box me in to certain apps. (Setting aside the SSD size and CPU limitations).

2) If someone is technically inclined and has a lot of Linux experience, is there any downside to using a VPS? (Setting aside what may come if I need to scale up).

3) Other than the price differences and features listed on their sites, are there any significant differences between AWS Lightsail, A2Hosting, and Kamatera?

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

When you move to your own vps, remember that you are the administrator of that vps.

• You are responsible for the uptime, keep websites running, keep user files seperated, keep security at a high level. Even if you host for friends and family you have to treat them as if they are normal clients. If you dont do this and one of you websites get hacked it can and will backfire to the rest of your client websites.

• Wordpress websites.
      Did you know that Wp websites attract a continious stream of traffic in terms of bots and other people that are trying to test your websites? Every day, every hour.

• In my experience i would host a minecraft server somewhere else. What if the minecraft server spikes in cpu, would that mean that the websites are down and/ or affected by the cpu spike ? If you are serieus about hosting, use it for hosting only.

• What happens if you go on holiday and/ or when you are sick?

• Please understand that you are still the administrator of your server even when traveling.
  • TapiocaTapioca NAT Warrior

When I migrated within netshop-isp.com.cy I had no issues and their tech support made really good things as for me.
    So I ca conclude:
    1. You need to have migration withing the same solid company
    2. Chose solid company like I had chosen netshop-isp.com.cy

• OmniscenOmniscen Shared Hoster

I agree.
    Everything depends on the company.
    BTW, netshop-isp.com.cy is really great as per their latest published reviews.