As web hosts, are we supposed to have & provide servers with Dual Stacks?

MaxwellMaxwell Shared Hoster
edited February 2022 in Hosting Discussion & News

As web hosts, are we supposed to have & provide VMs or servers with Dual Stacks?

Or is the plan is to actually dump IPV4 which is currently still impossible due to multiple reasons.

Comments

• BarbarossBarbaross NAT Warrior
    edited February 2022

IPv4 will win for sure..
    For best availability, I always use dual stack when available..

• OpsidianOpsidian Shared Hoster
    edited February 2022

I buy server.
    I open ticket for disabling IPv6 at provider level.
    I install OS and use my server.

I don't have any need for that IP6 crap.

• RelevantosRelevantos NAT Warrior
    edited February 2022

What about providers such as Hetzner who charge a lot for IPV4 and are willing to push everyone to ipv6 alone?

• AurumAurum Shared Hoster
    edited February 2022

As a rule of thumb, if a provider doesn't support IPv6 (they still exist here and there, and especially here) I simply skip them. Having a /64 per server is overly convenient. I've skipped a regional, cheap provider for this sole reason.

Being able to dismiss IPv4 on at least some servers (if there's some money to be saved with that, and there's money to be saved for sure from now on) it's a nice plus.

I don't expect we'll ever ditch IPv4: it's the jpeg of the Internet Protocols. Even if there's a new format that may have more interesting features, you'll have to support it, at least somewhere and somehow. Still, this doesn't mean we can't take advantage of IPv6: there are quite a few scenarios where it comes in handy.

• TapiocaTapioca NAT Warrior
    edited February 2022

For me, no proper IPv6 support = bad host

• Divya165Divya165 Shared Hoster
    edited February 2022

It depends on your definition of "future".
    In the nearest decades? No. Prepare to dual stack or use some kind of proxy between the two protocols, at least on public facing services. I dropped IPv4 internally years ago, but since people are slow as molasses when it comes to adapting to something new I still have to run IPv4 on some public services.

• BoneismineBoneismine Shared Hoster
    edited February 2022

Whether it's only IPV6 or IPV4, I tend to use Cloudflare's warp to add the missing one to them.

• IvanishuIvanishu Shared Hoster
    edited February 2022

If a provider like Hetzner charges a lot for IPv4, I skip them, there is a bunch of other providers. Hetzner is not the only one provider on the Earth.