Best way to migrate all files from Google Drive (gDrive) except Google Docs/Slides?

MaxwellMaxwell Shared Hoster
edited February 2022 in Hosting Discussion & News

So, i am basically looking for an easy way to free up my free Google Drive (GDrive) storage as it will soon be hitting the 15GB Cap. I would very much like to move all (/most) files except those that need Google to be functioning (Google Docs/Slides..) to Koofr. This can happen through Koofr's "move" feature directly, or I can copy them to my desktop first and then move them to Koofr.

What would be the best practice for this? @vyas did you try something like this before? I remember you to be a fellow Koofr user?

I could also boot into linux or enable WSL and then use smth like

find ! -name '*.' -type f | xargs cp -t

This was my first google result kinda. Anyway, looking forward to your ideas

Comments

• BarbarossBarbaross NAT Warrior
    edited February 2022

I have moved (and screwed up) files and folders from Koofr to gDrive and vice versa more times than you would care!!

If you don't want to be too adventurous, let us say you have a gDrive account , let's call it "A" . Then in gDrive for A:

Stage Zero:
    Move all other docs and folders to a parent folder called “Sync-To-Koofr” or something like that . (Referred to as “Sync” for convenience going forward)

(optional: move all gDocs and gSlides to folders called /gDocs and /gSlides folders respectively, This is an optional prudent measure if considering rclone, you can skip this step).

That gives you a whole bunch of alternatives to consider.

Alternative 1:
    In Koofr connect gDrive A to Koofr. This is how it looks for me in iOS app

Copy “Sync” folder from gDrive A to Koofr. Copy, not move.
    In Move option, if an error occurs, you lose the files.
    Remember, it is like cut+paste versus copy+paste.

Once transfer is complete, check in Koofr status if all files have transferred. Then delete “Sync” from gDrive.
    All can be done via web browser.

Looks like Alternative 1 it is

This discussion has been closed.