Review of (NFS) Nearly Free Speech Host

I recently had a most unpleasant experience with Nearly Free Speech (NFS) support after changing my legal name:
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

After reading through their incomplete documentation online, I decided to pay for support and open a ticket. I was very forthcoming about what I needed, provided all requested info, and even offered to pay for whatever support was needed. Here is their response:

"There is a simple assistance request for updating your membership when you change your name. Although there's a nominal fee ($1) for that, we typically waive it unless the person blatantly lied to us about their name. Despite the bold print warning telling you not to, you went a different route.

The issue is that your old membership doesn't have a subscription, but your new one does. There would have been a $30 cost to upgrade the old one, for all the reasons described on our site. So, violating our policies saved you $30."

After this snarky response from them, my account was closed without warning and I have been unable to get a response from their team since.

Thankfully I only used NFS as a domain registrar for personal use, so no damage was done to business assets.

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM

Thanks for your review and sorry about your bad experience.

So I can understand, did your legal name change or had you used a fake name on the account to remain anonymous?

The Royal Ram

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

@AlphaRacks said:
    I recently had a most unpleasant experience with Nearly Free Speech (NFS) support after changing my legal name:
    https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

After reading through their incomplete documentation online, I decided to pay for support and open a ticket. I was very forthcoming about what I needed, provided all requested info, and even offered to pay for whatever support was needed. Here is their response:

"There is a simple assistance request for updating your membership when you change your name. Although there's a nominal fee ($1) for that, we typically waive it unless the person blatantly lied to us about their name. Despite the bold print warning telling you not to, you went a different route.

The issue is that your old membership doesn't have a subscription, but your new one does. There would have been a $30 cost to upgrade the old one, for all the reasons described on our site. So, violating our policies saved you $30."

After this snarky response from them, my account was closed without warning and I have been unable to get a response from their team since.

Thankfully I only used NFS as a domain registrar for personal use, so no damage was done to business assets.

I appreciate the review!