SQL database limits

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
What are the limits for an SQL database?

By this i mean how many rows/columns or data can be stored in one without any chance of failure or data loss?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• tonytony Moderator Administrator
    im presuming it could pretty much go on indefinately if you had enough space
    excel has about 600 columns and 100000 rows (ish give or take a lot :P)
    and mysql is much better than that
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    It's virtually limitless. For something lik SQL Server, the database size limit is 1,048,516 TB - note TB and not MB! Number of rows are constrained by disk size rather than logical design.

Though something like MySQL, Access and Pervasive is much less powerful - but should still be more than enough for mom-and-pop sites.
  • SEbasicSEbasic Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    It's virtually limitless. For something lik SQL Server, the database size limit is 1,048,516 TB - note TB and not MB! Number of rows are constrained by disk size rather than logical design.
    I didn't realist It was THAT much. How would you use that much space? (Maybe if you are Google or Y!)
    Rave it up.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: and that's only MS SQL Server.

By the way, you'd only use databases like SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 (etc) for commercial projects. I know most of you don't like Microsoft but you'd be surprised how many corporates run their Intranets on Microsoft IIS - they need someone to blame when any problems occur - corporate policy :lol: :lol: :lol: .
  • CoreyBryantCoreyBryant Beginner Link Clerk
    Well this might help some if it is mySQL: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Table_size.html
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ahh rite. thanks

The Royal Ram

Just for the record - I love Microsoft.

Just wanted to clear that up
    Rave it up.
    SEBasic, you want to be careful. The last time I said something like that cheats went berserk....

:roll:
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    the way i look at it, microsoft have done a hell of a lot for PCs
    without them we probably would nt be where we are now,

there are alternatives to everything microsoft, so nobody forces you to use microsoft products.

I personally hate IE so dont use it, i have nothing against windows although there is a look a like called lycoris (sp?) but thats based on linux.

So i dont see why people slag them off so much
    I use Firefox to browse - HATE ie...

The problem with that, is the lack of ActiveX... Some sites don't work all that great but 95% are still good.

Microsoft support is so good. I hardly ever have any major issues with Windows of any other products of theirs. That said, I rarely use Office and I guess the only other programmes I use by Microsoft on a regular basis would be Media Player - Which is great.
    Rave it up.
    Linux is catching up but it's still way way behind. Microsoft has come up with Windows Starter Edition which cost less than USD 40 (which is next to nothing) in an attempt to finish off Linux. There are many OSS people (like the people in this forum) who take a gung-ho stand against the "mainstream" but these are only a handful (relatively).
    Yeah, Windows starter looks pretty funny - only allowed 3 programmes open at a time - a great way to let people use the OS if they are on a budget though...
    Rave it up.
    Support is one of the key factors considered for the purchase of systems. Most of us think in terms of 1 or 2 home PCs - but Operations Managers who need to support 100s or 1000s in an office will want someone who can take the crap when things fall apart.