Google PR and PHP

dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss''Administrator
Hi,

I'm about to launch a new blog using Wordpress. Most of you would know that Wordpress is a blogging tool using PHP. The content is stored in a database. As such, the content would be considered as dynamic content.

Would this b a problem for Google to crawl and assign a Page Rank for my site? I'm not sure if mod_rewrite is installed nor do I know how to install it. I've not contacted my host yet.

Any comments?

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    google will struggle to crawl your site only if the urls are things like file.php?s=5&id=542

It cannot crawl links with '&' and '?' in it. Mod_rewrite will solve this problem. If you wish to get crawled you should deffinately use mod_rewrite

The Royal Ram

• dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    I've asked this question before but have not gotten definite answers. How do I use mod_rewrite? Can I install it myself? If so, where do I can a copy?
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    im not an expert at it neither.

from what I know it can be done serverwide by edditing the servers conf file but this probably isnt available to you.

the other way is per directory - this is by using a .htaccess file to rewrite the urls. I dont know the format of it so I cant say although you might be able to find out by doing a search on google or visit php.net

The Royal Ram

• cptnwinkycptnwinky Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Google will crawl sites with dynamic addresses. Its a myth that it does not. Some other smaller engines will not and I would not worry too much about them.

Either way, here is a good article written by Chroder over at WMT..
    http://www.chroder.com/archives/2004/08/08/easy-sef-urls-with-php/
    This is exactly what he has done to his wordpress blog so its sure to work with yours.
    PM me for small freelance php jobs.
    I have never been too needy but I lost my job due to the company shutting down our location. I just had a child and live in a pretty depressed area at the moment. I need some freelance work fairly bad.
    Thanks captain. Good article - I'll have a try.

Btw, I've confirmed with my host that mod_rewrite is installed server-wide. Do I need to do anything on my side to activate it? How would I know if it already works? Any tips or tricks?
    You only have to be able to use a .htaccess file and have a good understanding of Regex.
    I have never been too needy but I lost my job due to the company shutting down our location. I just had a child and live in a pretty depressed area at the moment. I need some freelance work fairly bad.
    Is that a Yes or a No? Do I still have to do anything since mod_rewrite has been installed server-wide.
    Thanks. From what I gather, it seems that I need to do some configuring.

Looks like I have some reading and testing to do tonight.
    Not to mod_rewrite. You only need to turn it on for your site in your .htaccess file and then create rewrite rules.