What is it's uses?

On the to do list:

Learn MySQL
Learn Flash
Learn PHP

should I add CGI to the list, or do these other ones cover it? I guess it wouldn't hurt, but wasted time is never needed.

Comments

• ArestiaArestia Member NAT Warrior
    yeah u dont need to know cgi.

maybe will need perl for server side stuff if needed.

-Dan
    Arestia Design Studios / Synapse Corporate Solutions
    Daniel L. Rust - Lead Architect
    Seattle, WA
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    cgi and perl can come in handy
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • voormavoorma Member NAT Warrior
    martian, plz tell me why:P
    voorma5ny.jpg
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    well when i'm building a web site there is always php and mysql that can do almost any thing but i just find it easyer to use cgi (somtimes) but not somthing you need so no i would'nt add it to your list :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • FataquiFataqui Beginner Link Clerk
    Hi

Perl is thinking language, it is far superior than any other scripting type language! PHP, ASP, Java and CF all have a place in web development. There usefulness is well documented! But Perl is the king of "getting things done", it's speed in CGI mode is not the best, but using mod_perl or PerlEx, you will find it faster than anything PHP or ASP! Speed is not why you would use Perl, it has more to do with being able to accomplish a task that can not be so easily done in another language!

Although, Perl is harder to learn, because it is closest to C, when you do learn it, any other scripting language, will be childs play! Also with Perl 6 coming within a year, you will see Perl is shifting more support over to web type authoring, and with it's well know awesome library support already, it will make it a necessary for any web developer wanting to develop the best programs for their clients to know Perl!

Sonia