Big Online Text-based Game

CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy ModeratorShared Hoster
Im sure some of you will have heard of the adult online game "PimpWars" and games such as neopets...

I want to make an online text-based game similar to these.

This is how it will work:

You Register a name and password and Login with Name and Password.
You have Turns and everytime you do something you use up some of your turns. You also have money.

This is what you can do:

Buy weapons with your money from shops.
The shops restock at certain time... So a shop may have 10 of an item at one point, but after 10 have been bought there are none left untill it restocks and there are more...

Buy Fighters.
There are unlimited of these.

Buy Booze for your Fighters.
If you dont do this the fighters might leave you.

Also, anything you buy, you can put in your own shop and try to sell for a profit.

You can attack other players and they can attack you.
The person with the more Fighters and the best guns etc will win... The winner steals money from the loser...

The total value of all your possessions and money is your "Wealth" and all the players are ranked by their wealth...

Also, you can create a cartel and other people can join this... In th cartel you can set payment ammount (how much each member pays for every 10 turns or whatever) and with this money you can buyt cartel Fighters who will attack and defend anyone in the cartel who attacks or is attacked.

You can also give money and items to other people.

There are forums and chat rooms.

Admin and Mods have different powers including taking and giving money and items, banning username, email address and IP, suspending username, email address and IP and the usual powers for forums and chat rooms...

In theory, I know how to do all this... but theres no way I can just go and make it now...

So any Help/Tutorials/Advice/whatever you have that could help, please post it here!!! Thanks.

Comments

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    sounds like a really big and complex script

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Its not just a script. Its far far bigger than that. lol

Its basically pimpwars but no hoes and you can sell stuff to make money...

Liek I said, I could do it in theory... but its that actual coding im worried about. Especially the MySQL... I have no idea how to do any of that...

Its basically all HTML forms with PHP Processes like

BUY BOOZE PAGE:
    <form action="process.php" method="POST">

How Much Booze?<br /><input type='text' name='buybooze' length='8' /><br /><br />

<input type='submit' value='Submit' />&#160;&#160;<input type='reset' value='Cancel' />
    </form>

PROCESS PAGE:
    if $cash > $buybooze times by $boozecost then take away $buybooze times by $boozecost from £cash and add $buybooze to $booze.

Im just not sure how to code that in PHP and I have no idea how to then make that php process script change the details in the MySQL databse. lol
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    Python wrote:
    sounds like a really big and complex script

more than what one guy can handle part-time alone :)
    I know that... I only really ahd the idea yesterday...
    Basically, 4 years ago I started yr7. I made friedns with someone else into web design etc and ever since we have kinda had an unspokent competition going as to the best webmaster etc... I'm afraid hes usually a little ahead of me..
    I started webdesign before him, I learnt HTML before him and I know CSS and he dont
    but He learnt PHP before me and knows much more than me and has resselller hosting etc... lol

And guess what, he is now making a new version of Pimpwars called "Online Ghetto".

So anyway... I will get help in... but So far I havent even started planning this... I would just like some help/advice/whatever and maybe some links to tutorials... ;)
    Well, I'm willing to help you (no compensation needed) if you can get a team and procedure set up.

I can contribute in coding the PHP and MySQL portions :)
  • ForgeForge Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Id be willing to help out. And my site could give you some hits, considering it is a gaming site.
    Can fat people Go skinny Dipping?
    Yeah. okay. This is good.

Right. Anyone who is interested in helping with teh making of the site please PM me with the following details:

PM Subject: B.O.Tb.G App.
    Your Name:
    Your eMail address:
    Your MSN and/or AIM:
    What can you do to help? (php, mysql, graphics... what?)
    Are you willing to do this all for free?
    Could you possibly supply some funds towards howting, etc?
    What time zone are you in compared to GMT?

Thanks.
    Also, tell anyone else you know who could help to get in contact with me too. :)
    I won't send you a PM - but I'll post it here :)

1. Name? daboss
    2. Email? daboss@bimmercenter.com
    3. MSN? AIM? none
    4. What can I do? I'm only interested in the PHP portions
    5. Do I expect any payment in return? Nah, I don't think you can afford my actual rates :)
    6. Fund the hosting? Hm... this is a good one. If I provide monetary help, I would definitely expect something in return. Are you willing to share?
    7. Time zone? Don't worry about it - I'm on almost all the time.
    Okay... But I was kinda thinking we would have ads to pay for hosting etc and if we made a profit then it could be shared around and whoever gave the most, got the most back etc... Just an Idea...

And Please can you just copy that to a PM to me so I ahve a record of it.

Thanks.

Anyone else?
    PM sent :)

Let's see if we can get this off the ground.
    Yeah! and thanks... :)
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Id be interested but i dont know enough php or SQL to do anything:)

Are you looking for something similar to the game "Utopia" at swirve.com?
    I don't really know how you can help if you don't know PHP or SQL...
    I'll try and think of something...
    Send me the PM anyway! :)

As for "Utopia"... Umm... Thats a bit different...
    The idea is basicaly:
    You can buy stuff, and then sell it for more in your shop... That's how you make money...
    With your money you buy fighters and guns 'n' booze for your fighters... Then you can attack other people who play the game and if you have more fighters and guns you win...
    But other people can attck you too... etc.

So its a big online game like utopia... but with a completely different slant... :)