Switch arriving tomorrow :)

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
I bought a 16-port switch the other day - should arrive tomorrow :)

The Royal Ram

Comments

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    why do people even need switches! its not like you have your own hosting company...right?
    ban1.gif
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    With all the projects I got going maybe I do ;) (well no I dont but it sounded good)...

By the way it arrived today... The reason I got one is because:

1. It was very cheap
    2. I often work on other peoples computers sorting problems and stuff so they can download drivers direct at my house
    3. I want to connect my Xbox so I can get Xbox live
    4. It looks cool
    5. It looks very technical
    6. I can now play against people in my house on a LAN
    7. I can take it into college when we have LAN parties...

The Royal Ram

• tobytoby Beginner Link Clerk
    danielneri wrote:
    why do people even need switches! its not like you have your own hosting company...right?

to connect several devices together? :confused:
    ufjoin_blue.gif
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    danielneri wrote:
    I don't own my own company with critical data on PC's, but I still use high standard and virtually indestructable power splitters (the one I am using now is a belkin surgemaster that's got a £15,000 warranty for anything plugged into it and is supposedly capable of protecting from lightning strikes or what they call catastrophic surges... which sounds like a crappy thing to have happen to a PC... and it'll protect and enhance the quality of phone and fax lines too).
    I'd rather pay a reasonable price for pro level hardware and know it won't kill my stuff than pay next to nothing for cheap al's alternative which will short out and kill everyone on my street :P
    Also, I know people who would actually find a use for one of those (a guy I know from another forum has something like 1TB of offline storage available to him, but he's still on 56K because broadband in Puerto Rico sucks apparently).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!