Having free storage space on servers?

Everyone is talking about crypto mining, and the requirements for mining coins has gone way beyond something that is profitable. If you have 550GB free space on any server and supports docker, you can try to mine STORJ (https://storj.io). The price of the token is $1.18 USD right now. Fair warning, it takes atleast 6 months to really see tokens flow in, as your node gets slowly filled up and gets a good reputation.

If folks are interested, I will do a write-up on how to set this up.

Getting storage servers on deals, I have about 7.5TB spread across 4 servers (1x1.5TB Servarica, 1x2TB Servarica, 2x2TB Greencloud), I need to make about 20 $STORJ per month to be profitable. Sometimes it is frustrating, I had to reset the 1.5TB Servarica node twice in two years, losing about 10 $STORJ in the process. I have my reservations, but for some reason, I am persisting with this. It appears easier to mine than CHIA or FILECOIN

DeluxeNames
Tagged:

Comments

• cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

We have a lot of storage, about 24TB Storage as FTP, Object Storage and NFS on our cloud but we do not see how STORJ will be profitable ever! I have tried it and it really sucks...(Sorry for the language). I currently sell 7$/TB/month for backup to customer and it seems much more profitable without actually utilizing full Network

DeluxeNames

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

Yeah, it is not rewarding as well as it it when it started. I think I made about 200 STORJ initially and sold it when it was about 2$. Haven't made much after that..

Did you try after the introduced L2 payments using zksync? You get monthly payouts even if you don't meet the high gas fee threshold (probably like 25$ worth).. and finally can move it to an exchange using STORJ instead of ETH

DeluxeNames
  • cloudmatecloudmate NAT Warrior

@abytecurious said:
    Yeah, it is not rewarding as well as it it when it started. I think I made about 200 STORJ initially and sold it when it was about 2$. Haven't made much after that..

Did you try after the introduced L2 payments using zksync? You get monthly payouts even if you don't meet the high gas fee threshold (probably like 25$ worth).. and finally can move it to an exchange using STORJ instead of ETH

I am not into Crypto so much, though I accept them as a mode of Payment for my website. Although, 60% sites on my network are either exchanges or Miners.

I got about 7$ of STORJ which I initially converted using a no-login exchange to LiteCoin.

and whats L2 payments using zksync?

DeluxeNames

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
    CloudMate Softwares
    Managing Director
    ankesh@cloudmate.in

• abytecuriousabytecurious Shared Hoster

Since STORJ is a token on ETH, they ran into troubles when making payments to node operators when gas fees were high. The new rule was to make payments to an operator only when your node made atleast 4x the gas fee at the time of the payment. With increasing gas fees, you had to start making serious amounts to get paid. They announced you could enable your node to accept L2 payments using a secondary chain (zksync) on top of ETH. You have to make a one time payment in ETH to enable zkSync (which has a non-custodial wallet) and you start getting your node payments every month, even if it is like 0.3 STORJ.

You can move your STORJ to the main wallet which requires a one-time payment of gas fees which can be done in STORJ itself (no need of ETH on your zksync wallet). I decided to go for this as I had to reinstall a server due to the provider changing DCs and lost what I had accumulated.

Not recommending STORJ as a great way to earn crypto.. but if you have something idle, letting it run would be a nice idea (esp. with L2 payments). STORJ doesn't block your storage unless it is used, so you could tell the app to use upto 2TB on your server, but keep using the server for other things.. If you ended up using 1TB for backups, just restart the storj docker app to use only 1TB.

DeluxeNames
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

I'm also interested to see a write-up on crypto mining from your experience.