What DNS provider you recommend?

RelevantosRelevantos NAT Warrior
edited October 2023 in Hosting Discussion & News

Hey guys,
What is your favorite DNS provider you can recommend to me & why?
What features should I be looking for when comparing?
Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• TapiocaTapioca NAT Warrior
    edited October 2023

Cloudflare - Free - Fast globally - flattens cname records - Easy to manage multiple domains - Supports dnssec - Hosting provider and register neutral - Good pathway to other CDN, WAF & optimisation products

If doing more complex stuff like georouting I’d use Amazon route53 but it’s a far more complex product and not free.

• BewuntlineBewuntline NAT Warrior
    edited October 2023

I fully agree that CloudFlare is the way to go but but I'm not convinced that the reason they are able to be so good is that they are subsidized by secret services. They terminate SSL for a gajillion websites, that means they have clear text access to every password and everything that passes through. They have data centers in russia and the middle east. If the spooks don't have a tap on that they are not doing their jobs.

• msdlcmsdlc NAT Warrior
    edited October 2023

if you are asking about a DNS provider for home or business use (ie on your own network), I use Quad9 for the privacy, speed, and malware blocking. It's the upstream provider set up on my pi.hole for that additional layer of protection.

• BarbarossBarbaross NAT Warrior
    edited October 2023

desec.io is a valid option. You can configure your zone freely, they provide an api, it's free and reliable.