Is it better to have the email with my Host or Registar?

I am a bit lost here and I need some help. As I am trying to register a domain for email.

When I get a different domain registrar and web host (which both have a free email included) which one do I pick? And can I switch after I already registered an email address at one of the two?

Again, I’m lost and I hope someone can help me!

Also, is it complicated to change the DNS to the host (it seems to me like I need to do that if I have two different providers)?

Thanks!

Thanked by [1] : Ruhi_1820
DeluxeNames

Comments

• PatriciaPatricia Link Clerk

I'd advice going with the host. At least that way you have everything in one place

• I recommend you check out https://wpengine.com/ and https://www.godaddy.com/
    They break it down for you and have the best host and domain options. Hope this helps!

• This is a sensitive issue. Please be patient and take it slowly. But I think it's better with your host

• OpenInboxOpenInbox Link Clerk

domain registrar and web host ... which one do I pick

There are good host and bad host. Good registrars and bad ones. I wouldn't base my decision on if its a host vs registrar. I would base my decision on whether said company is trust worthy, and then consider the company's policies. They might not be crooks but maybe they have rules that end up giving you a headache. For example, years ago, i got a VPS at Godaddy just to find out they blocked some ports to curb abuse. I understand why they would do that being a McDonalds of the internet, but i don't want a host that blocks traffic/ports.

can I switch after I already registered an email address at one of the two

You don't "register" your email anywhere, but using DNS records you point to the current server (IP) that accepts mail for your @domain.com. Changing servers is as simple as changing the IP address in the DNS records. Assuming the new server has all of the configuration setup correctly to properly receive emails on behalf of your domain. The only hurdle to changing services might be migrating old emails from the inbox of one to the other if that is something you want to do.

is it complicated to change the DNS

Nope, takes a few seconds if you know how and understand how DNS works.

• olaide85olaide85 Link Clerk

@Timileyin1 said:
    This is a sensitive issue. Please be patient and take it slowly. But I think it's better with your host

Yes, you are very right. It is a sensitive issue to change domains. Doing everything with the host is the best.