RockyLinux vs CentOS

Everybody was sad to see that CentOS 8 has reached its EOL and CentOS 7.9 will also be gone in 2025. Its main alternatives are AlmaLinux and RockyLinux. I've just tested RockyLinux fully for production and can say with absolute certainty that it's much better, more amusing, and faster than CentOS. It has its own Web Console as well which is quite next level considering this Distro stream.

Though, most of the applications and services are still limited to CentOS, I would recommend everyone to try Rocky Linux instead of CentOS.

Shared Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers

Ankesh Anand
CloudMate Softwares
Managing Director
ankesh@cloudmate.in

DeluxeNames
Tagged:

Comments

• OpenInboxOpenInbox Link Clerk

I found Oracle Linux to be a better replacement for CentOS.
    https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-downloads.html

Oracle linux is pure byte-for-byte Redhat RHEL with only difference being oracle maintains their own repos for yum/dnf packages.

DeluxeNames
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

@OpenInbox said:
    I found Oracle Linux to be a better replacement for CentOS.
    https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-downloads.html

Oracle linux is pure byte-for-byte Redhat RHEL with only difference being oracle maintains their own repos for yum/dnf packages.

And isn't the Oracle Linux stream free to get updates from? Some are scared of Oracle because something sketchy the company had once done if memory serves?

• OpenInboxOpenInbox Link Clerk

And isn't the Oracle Linux stream free to get updates from?

Yes its completely free. You can yum/dnf your updates just like CentOS. It is CentOS (RHEL). Their business model is hoping you will pay them for support if you need help. They also offer a paid feature that lets you update the kernel without rebooting, if it's important for you to never have to reboot and have down time.

But if you manage linux yourself, then nothing to worry about.

DeluxeNames
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator

@OpenInbox said:

And isn't the Oracle Linux stream free to get updates from?

Yes its completely free. You can yum/dnf your updates just like CentOS. It is CentOS (RHEL). Their business model is hoping you will pay them for support if you need help. They also offer a paid feature that lets you update the kernel without rebooting, if it's important for you to never have to reboot and have down time.

But if you manage linux yourself, then nothing to worry about.

Beautiful & thank you for that update!
    Perhaps Open Source fans were upset that Sun/Oracle bought the open-source MySQL. Oracle saw MySQL as a threat to it's own database empire.