I Installed Vista!!!

danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P.VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
alright well this is amazing. i finally got around to installing vista after almost 7 hours of downloading it @ 80-140kbps.

screen shots
desktop: http://vipercreations.com/portal/data/vista_desktop.PNG
control panel: http://vipercreations.com/portal/data/control%20panel.PNG
my documents: http://vipercreations.com/portal/data/documents.PNG
user folder [new]: http://vipercreations.com/portal/data/user%20folders.PNG
start menu: http://vipercreations.com/portal/data/start%20menu.PNG

it is really fantastic and so far all my programs work. if anybody wants new screenshots of anything ask ill be happy to provide :D
ban1.gif

Comments

• AeriffAeriff Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I read some really bad reviews about Vista, about all the high-end hardware it requires.. o_O. It's not really High-End by today's standards but alot of people still don't have hardware good enough to run it.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    danielneri wrote:
    I Installed Vista!!!
    The hardest part is admitting it. Now we must confront the issue. I'm sure the devdreams community as a whole will provide support and we can offer counseling too.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I really don't see the point in installing a beta quality OS which will stop functioning within a year, which needs such powerful hardware and which will cost you an utter fortune when released.
    The version you have is Vista Beta Basic by the looks of it, meaning AERO is off so it'll actually run on your system (though AERO doesn't use a ton of CPU and RAM power since it's using the GPU for a lot of things, so lord only knows where the extra power is going).

I won't be buying Vista at all (if I buy a new system with it on, I might boot it once to see what it's like, but that's about it).
    To be honest, I'm quite taken with Linux with a custom GNOME setup, or KDE pimped to feel like OS X.
    I've been thinking of buying a Mac Mini to toy around with (I have this beast of a DVI screen and not much to show on it under XP or Linux right now), but I'm still unsure.
    It's likely that my next system will run Linux or OS X though (by "likely", I mean "definitely").
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    The hardest part is admitting it. Now we must confront the issue. I'm sure the devdreams community as a whole will provide support and we can offer counseling too.

haha you guys are funny :p
    @nuvo i have windows vista beta 2 ultimate but i haven't checked into aero yet. and whats the hype about high end hardware guys? im running a goddamn budget machine by emachines :p.

amd athlon xp 3200+
    integrated graphics 64/128 switchable in bios
    dvdrw +/-
    512 stock memory ( i stole another 512 from my sisters computer so that vista would work, integrated graphics suck! )
    160gb hdd
    and a digital media card reader

call that high end? it costs less than $500 and came with a monitor+printer. low end budget machine. not high end. it runs perfectly fine guys, perfectly.
    matter of fact, this is the hard part to admit. i think i actually might like it :p
    ban1.gif
    Vista wants 1Gb of RAM, 15Gb free HDD space and a graphics card with somewhere around 256Mb of RAM and at least DirectX 9 support.

I'm getting pretty effects with 256Mb or RAM, a 256Mb DirectX 9 capable GeForce 6600 grade graphics cardand a partition that's less than 20Gb.

You may have the Ultimate Beta, but if you turn on AERO, your system will probably crap up on you since you're currently using Vista in Basic mode (you can tell by the fact that the user image in the start menu is fully inside the menu and the window titles don't use translucency).
    I'm running XGL \ Compiz and getting a lot of features, including some OS X has (Expose).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    nuvo you're probably right about my system freaking out if i turned aero on :p

anyways how do i turn it on?
    ban1.gif
    You turn it on in the appearance settings (R Click on desktop > Personalize > Visual Appearance > Open Appearance Properties).
    Check "enable transparent glass" and it should work (tried searching Google since I haven't used Windows in any form since February :D).
    If your system doesn't have the right hardware, the option of enabling it isn't even accessible apparently.

Now, back to pointlessly spinning cubes, sexy switchers and other pretty, but non-productive effects...
  • AeriffAeriff Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Nuvo wrote:
    To be honest, I'm quite taken with Linux with a custom GNOME setup, or KDE pimped to feel like OS X.

Kind of off topic, but uh..

Gnome > KDE.
    Actually, it's like this:
    Customized Gnome (with Compiz instead of Metacity) > Gnome > customized KDE (Baghira) > KDE > Windows Desktop.

On saying that, I really like Baghira's KDE start menu since it cuts out the whole list searching issue (you type in an app name and it brings it up).
    Instead of that though, I have a search bar in a Gnome panel that lets me execute apps, look for files or search the net.

It's a shame that the Vista start menu isn't more like the one I have under KDE since it's a much more elegant sollution than having a billion mile long menu's.

Vista has better previewing support than earlier distro's thanks to it's new code, but I can't really say anything more than "welcome to the party".
    I've got previews of audio files (hover over and it plays for as long as you're over it), image files and text files (though of little use unless you have big icons) in a file manager and with XGL, live previews are definitely a possibility (there's Compiz plugin's like Miniwin which let you turn windows into icon kind of things).
    Also, I wouldn't run out and buy Bista just because it does these things.
    Sure, the new interface capabilities are nice, but I have to ask:
    • Will Microsoft let others extend Vista's desktop features? If not, you won't get much other than Flip3D and translucency... not really worth the hundreds you'll fork out for the OS and hardware to get it running fully.
    • If 3rd parties can access the extra abilities, will they bother? There's no point in developing an application that uses AERO a lot if nobody can run it, and you don't want to alienate Basic users who don't have the hardware or just don't like the effects.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    15GB for the OS?
    Hahahahahaa! HAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    oh boy you had to say that didn't you aeriff!!

anyways nuvo i dont have pixel shading on this cheapo intergrated gfx solution so i guess no aero for me.

though cbg how about that support and counseling now?

I WANT MY XP BACK :'(!!!!!!!!!

(@cbg: its a HELLUVA lot more than 15 gigs for the damn search indexer)
    ban1.gif
    15GB for the OS?
    Hahahahahaa! HAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    Vista: Half my HDD.
    Linux: Thumb drive.
    OS X: Not available (damnit, I'm not even bothering until I get the chance to try it properly and not in a shop demo for 5 minutes).

Daniel, if you installed Vista correctly, you should still be able to boot into XP.
    If you didn't, looks like you'll be needing to format again :D
    thing is nuvo im not exactly normal, i dont mind reinstalling xp from that recovery dvd that came with it. :confused:

though i kinda cheated on the installed for vista. i mounted the .iso file in windows and ran the installation through it :p. But for some reason it won't let me get into xp, it just shows a blank gray screen. It gives me the option but no result. The only reason Vista takes up so much space btw is because of its stupid search indexing thing. Also kills your CPU with 90-100% usage for 2-3 hours.
    ban1.gif
  • joshlljoshll Junior Member Shared Hoster
    looks good buddy :D
    Adult Advisor :cool:
    Adult Section Leader :cool:
    Pimp ;)
  • whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    I installed Ubuntu recently, while preparing to say goodbye to Windows once the Vista BS is released. I will prob buy Vista on CD once the licensed ver is released because I have friends who work at MS and can get my their prices. I am not paying $400 for an OS that tells me none of my HW is any good, while Linux and XP run fine on all of it.

Personally I think that MS is cutting their own throats with this locked-down, resource-intensive OS. Anyone who has just a tad bit of IT knowledge is going to go get Ubuntu, or SUSE, or some other FREE flavor of Linux and have no problems at all. But that is just a guess...
    Well, even if you can't set up Linux on your own, there's now companies (in America at least) which will build you a desktop, tower or laptop computer running Ubuntu and donate some of the money to charities.
    System76 seems to be one of the best out there, even if they don't offer super cheap prices sometimes (the money they don't use on running their company is donated to the protection of the animals which their systrems are named after).

As Linux distro's get more usable, Macs get less costly and free software catches up with the big guns, Microsoft will have to start doing things right.
  • tshugotshugo Junior Member Shared Hoster
    danielneri wrote:
    alright well this is amazing. i finally got around to installing vista after almost 7 hours of downloading it @ 80-140kbps.

it is really fantastic and so far all my programs work. if anybody wants new screenshots of anything ask ill be happy to provide :D

Many nice pictures there. Did the program crash sometime, or is it stable? :)
    I built my own Ubuntu box, and it isn't the fist linux box that I have built. I built a Mandrake box about 5 years ago, but I didn't really like that distro a whole lot, so I stopped using it for a while. I wanted to install SUSE on a new box, which I still might do, but a friend told me about Ubuntu and I installed that instead. I have liked it very much so far.
    Do you like Linux better than Windows in general, or?
    Linux is great if you're not scared of a little work sometimes and if you enjoy free software.
    If you're into things like Photoshop or new PC games, it's not really suited to that as you'd have to try running them via WiNE (free) or Cedga (commercial), or you could use GIMP for graphics work.
    Personally, as I have consoles for gaming (my PC only has 256MB of RAM, so unless I bump that up, gaming is out for me anyway) and use my system mostly for web browsing and development, for which I know of no other platform I'd rather use.
    I have a commercial quality vector graphics editor (commercial quality because it's made by Xara, and commercial for Windows users) in Xara Xtreme, I've got web development tools in the form of jEdit, SCIte, RadRails and NVu, I've got a much larger work area thanks to Gnome allowing for multiple desktops and I've got a command line which I haven't had to type any commands into for ages as all I need to do to start a WEBrick server is hit the up key till I find the right command and hit enter because it caches whatever I type in so that I can use it later (even after rebooting).

Linux isn't for everyone and some distro's can be more work than others to get running (like Gentoo), but it's not a bad system (if you're using a web server or have hosting, it's probably Linux).
    Not everything for Linux is free, but I haven't spent anything on getting my system set up with the tools I need for what I do.
    Unless someone offers me a Mac with multiple desktop support, I'll happily stick to what I'm using now.
  • tec-geektec-geek Beginner Link Clerk
    Besides dabbling in Dedi servers some, I've never used much linux.
    I'm looking for an altrenative to Windows. I just ordered a Ubuntu disc recently (dialup is really starting to get on my nerves now :p ). I'm pretty excited about installing linux, but is it worth trying to migrate everything over from Windows?
    Its a slow process. You will have to find out what programs will and will not work well in WINe. And you will always have to watch when you get new software that it will work in Linux, if there is a version, or if it will run in WINe. Its a bit more complicated to work with, but Linux runs so much better than Windows, it really is sad. Plus, you don't have to worry about Spyware or Viruses with Linux.
    tshugo wrote:
    Many nice pictures there. Did the program crash sometime, or is it stable? :)

never crashed once, surprisingly stable. though i did screw it up somehow and in the end after not using it for about 2 weeks one day i turned it on and got the blue screen of death :p

oh well my recovery disk works great, ive used it almost 10 times uptil now :p
    ban1.gif
    danielneri wrote:
    never crashed once, surprisingly stable. though i did screw it up somehow and in the end after not using it for about 2 weeks one day i turned it on and got the blue screen of death :p

oh well my recovery disk works great, ive used it almost 10 times uptil now :p

Nice :D

I`m thinking of installing it for fun on a disk aswell ;)