Some History About WebmasterForum.com?

I noticed that some of you were from WebmasterForum.com. Can anyone give me a little history about it? Why did it close? How could a forum with that good a name go under?

Someone I respect and like, Adam ****ers (owner of DNforum), bought it so was curious about it's origins.

Thanks,
-B

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I was a very active member there a long time ago, back before DevDreams.
    It was a fantastic community, everyone knew everyone else and the owner was a nice guy.

Then it got bought out by a coroporation who started to run it like a business. They plastered bright green googleads everywhere and the whole community got pretty annoyed.
    We tried to startup our own forum but it failed.
    Everyone went their own way and now I see dnforum.com (YUCK!) own the domain...
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    now I see dnforum.com (YUCK!) own the domain...

I understand. That is an education for me. So when a forum has the feel of corporate ownership, it looses it's sense of community?

However, DNForum is not a coporate machine, it is owned by one guy, Adam. Please help me understand the bad feelings toward DNForum?
  • tshugotshugo Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I only visited "WebmasterForum.com" a few times before it went down, so I dont have the best knowledge about the owners/moderators and so on. :glasses2:
    I understand. That is an education for me. So when a forum has the feel of corporate ownership, it looses it's sense of community?
    It's more to do with what they did, it was like a big corporate take over, lots of changes...
    However, DNForum is not a coporate machine, it is owned by one guy, Adam. Please help me understand the bad feelings toward DNForum?
    I never felt comfortable there, so many sections that you don't get access too... Why? What's so secretive? It kind of goes against the point of a forum, imho. And yes, dnforum has a corporate feel too.
    I understand, thanks CannonBallGuy for that insight.

What is your favorite major (as in more than 30,000 members) Webmaster forum and why?
    The only webmaster forums I visit are Wembaster-Talk, TutorialDash and here. So I figure my answer has to be Webmaster-Talk which I visit almost exclusively for the graphics contests...
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    ...Then it got bought out by a coroporation who started to run it like a business...
    same is happening over there at sitepoint... so sad. :banghead:

also, you would also like to say that at dnforum, i believe the structure that they have in place is to make $$$ - which is understandable...
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I met Py over at WebmasterForum.com a few months before Adam got his hands on it. But honestly it had been going downhill for a while before Adam got involved.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    WebmasterForum.com I think was owned by Ian originally. I used to visit that forum daily. In fact I was a moderator at it right up until I apparently made one bad mistake and the new owner removed my moderator status and banned a few of my friends. It was the best webmaster forum I had ever been to before the takeover. But as soon as it was taken over and merged with dnforum I just left. I never visit there anymore.

The Royal Ram

Python wrote:
    I was a moderator at it right up until I apparently made one bad mistake

I'm so curious as to what that mistake was? Promoting your own forums there? I know I've made that mistake before and been told. You don't have to share if it's personal, just curious.

More importantly, why was it the best Webmaster Forum you had ever been to? As in, what were the reasons you loved it?
  • Awakened-SouljaAwakened-Soulja Beginner Link Clerk
    I havent heard of WebmasterForum.com. Ive heard of DNForum though and they are an UGLY forum. I just dont like how they've set up DNForum. Ive just visited WebmasterForum.com and now i see what you guys mean about merged.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Well basically this guy a knew (only knew him online but he helped me out quite a lot) who got into a bit of a debate with the admin of webmasterforum.com (after the takeover). At the time I was moderator. I thought that he was right and that the admin was wrong and I said something like...

"Well maybe hes got a point there admin..."

The next time I visited I had a private message saying I have been removed from mod status because I disagreed with the admins decision (otherwords I didnt back him up). Stupid!

I thought it was a greate forum before the takeover mainly because of the members. I was new to web dev then and they helped me quite a bit. I never had any trouble with any of them. Also the forum was kept simple and to the point...

The Royal Ram

Thanks for sharing that Python. That Admin was Adam at the time?

Maybe I'm just a weird Admin or too new at the job, but I want to be questioned by Mods, When Joshll, was like, dude you have too many sections, I was like, he's right, and I got rid of some sections.

Don't you want to be questioned Python?

If it was that he didn't want to be questioned in front of a member, well, I can see that point. Back up the Admin in public, and then disagree w/ him in private. That may have been his reasoning.

Very interesting Python, thanks.