Logo/Header Contest Rules: Use Web 2.0 Format

DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames AdminAdministrator
To celebrate the Grand Opening of WebmasterPost.com, the contest for the new header and logo for DeluxeNames.com & DeluxeHost.com is now open and will end Saturday, December 16th. The winning designs will use the Web 2.0 format as seen in the examples of this thread: http://yh.yayhooray.com/thread/90661/yh-collab:-redesign-famous-logos-in-web-2-0-format?page=1

Web 2.0 format is using rounded corrners, gradient, reflected text (often you see the text being reflected below as if in water), Out-lines (also known as strokes, especailly outlined letters), fun colors, the "shadow" affect (aka: "shading"), and different fonts (not just "ariel" or "times new roman"). This format sometimes gives logos a "shinnyness" to them, but doesn't have to.

To enter, you will be submitting two versions but they will be exactly the same except replace the word "Names" with the word "Host" in your second version. So really, the two versions will be virtually identical. You may submit as many versions as you want. Each and every submission and re-submission you enter will be considered.

I don't like the current design and logo but you can view it at: www.DeluxeNames.com. The current design and colors of the site will be changed to match the winning header so the header should not be based on the current design of the site. The height of the header should be around 116px high and the width should be at least 745px.

I am open to any color choices. My favorite colors are blues, and white but you don't have to restrict yourselves to those colors.

One of the keys to winning is to use a web 2.0 logo, not just the words "DeluxeNames" and "DeluxeHost". This logo could be some abstract rendering of "Deluxe" or just something totally abstract and yet fitting.

Please use this slogan on the "DeluxeNames" header:
"Owning a Domain Means People Can Find You...Anywhere"

Please use this slogan on the "DeluxeHost" header:
"Hosting At It's Best: Quality & Integrity"

The winner will need to provide the layered header image, and logo with a transparent background.

Besides the pride of your art being displayed for all to see at DeluxeNames.com and DeluxeHost.com, you will receive $150 USD via Paypal (from a verified Paypal account). Please post your entry here in this thread and the Moderators (who don't enter the contest) and I will be the judges. The Moderators and I will then review and vote and the winner will be chosen and paid by 11pm EST on Sunday, December 17th.

Comments

• BillBill Beginner Link Clerk
    count me in, will have something SOON
    C:\>DOS
    C:\>DOS\RUN
    #:RUN\DOS\RUN
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Bill wrote: »
    count me in, will have something SOON

Glad to hear that, looking forward to seeing it.
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    I'm not sure exactly what web 2.0 is. I looked at that thread but I'm still not sure...must be becuase it's sunday lol
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • statdstatd Beginner Link Clerk
    I'm in.
    portfolio-DaGrafiction
    http://ru3.com/luc/uploaded_images/web2-big-745097.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0
    This is a very long explenation of web 2.0, good though

Web 2.0, in my oppion, is using rounded corrnors, "shinny", lots of gradent, "fun" color...... different fonts, not just "aeril"(i think i spelled it right :D) or "times new roman"

lots of out-lines(also known as strokes)

anybuddy, please correct me if im wrong

That is my understanding of Web 2.0

Jon
    Without reading the links (I'll go read them in a min) and just on what you're saying...web 2.0 is something like this...

81538-r.jpg

Without the white background

Let me know if that's the type of thing you were thinking of

Off to read those links now

Hugs
    Fi
    xoxo

My Site
    My Deviantart
    http://ru3.com/luc/uploaded_images/web2-big-745097.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0
    This is a very long explenation of web 2.0, good though
    Web 2.0, in my oppion, is using rounded corrnors, "shinny", lots of gradent, "fun" color...... different fonts, not just "aeril"(i think i spelled it right :D) or "times new roman"
    lots of out-lines(also known as strokes)
    anybuddy, please correct me if im wrong
    That is my understanding of Web 2.0
    Jon
    Exactly right Jon and thanks for your explaination :)

I'm so glad to hear you are both in Fiona and Statd! Looking forward to seeing your entries.
    fiona2412 wrote: »
    Without reading the links (I'll go read them in a min) and just on what you're saying...web 2.0 is something like this...
    81538-r.jpg
    Hugs
    Fi
    xoxo

You are correct Fiona :)
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Haha i dont get any of this, i got nooby skills at designing :D
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Just something I happened to be toying with while trying to design a logo for my brother-in-law, who I might be building a small site for soon...
    Anyway, when vector graphics, web 2.0 and your old logo combine, I ended up with something like this:
    dxlogosdu6.png

Not going to take on anyone with any actual graphics tallent, but like I said, I just happened to be playing around.

The left one was made using similar techniques, but I found that it created a neat little optical illusion of there being rings or something.

Both are made using incredibly simple methods which basically entail working with ellipses.
    All I did was cut out a crescent using two ellipses, flip it, clone the two crescents, edit the clones a little, coloured them, aligned them and added a few simple effects such as the shine and shadows.
    These were done in an application which doesn't support .PSD output (Xara Xtreme), so I won't be entering this competition.
    Also, I had to link to the full image as ImageShack's method of doing thumbnail images plays havoc with transparent .PNG images :[
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    I like them Nuvo, I think they are quite groovy :D

I'll have a play about although whether what I create is up to standard who knows

Hugs
    Fi
    xoxo

My Site
    My Deviantart
    Hey Jon and Fiona, I've edited my original post to make the height 116px. The width is still 745px. Thanks for pointing this out by the way.
    Nuvo wrote: »
    Just something I happened to be toying with while trying to design a logo for my brother-in-law, Not going to take on anyone with any actual graphics tallent, but like I said, I just happened to be playing around.
    Thanks for entering Nuvo! You're the first into the water on this :)
    Thank you, i will enter something tomarrow, when im not trying to fall asleep at the keyboard :D

I will just enter it in some size that looks good on the screen :D i can adjust it later

Jon
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    DxN wrote:
    Thanks for entering Nuvo! You're the first into the water on this
    Erm, I'm not actually entering as I have no way of providing it in a format you can easily edit as it's saved as .XAR, which is Xara's own vector format.
    Xara can export to Illustrator .EPS and .AI formats, but I'm having some trouble getting it to work as it causes Xara to panic and show an error and when I try to load the images, Xara flips out, GIMP can't seem to locate a plugin for the file type and inkscape complains about not being able to find ImageMagick (which I have installed) and it only loads some of the file.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Ok, before i enter, here in a few, i need to know if you want deluxenames.com or just deluxnames for the logo?

also, is there any tag lines you want for the header

Jon

here is the entery, atleast part of it, there is more to come, i just ran out of ideas for the night, attached is the banner and logo combo, and just the logo.

The banner is just the basic idea, im not quite done with it, fonts and ect...

Jon
    I'm liking the idea Jon......I sat staring at a blank canvas......couldn't come up anything :(

Any change of size yet DN? <<< Ignore
    read the 1st post again lol, I skipped to the 2nd page wo see what Jon submitted lol

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • chiragchirag Member NAT Warrior
    My try. Me a noob at photoshop. But jst a try. Feedback plz.
    Ok, before i enter, here in a few, i need to know if you want deluxenames.com or just deluxnames for the logo?
    also, is there any tag lines you want for the header
    Jon

here is the entery, atleast part of it, there is more to come, i just ran out of ideas for the night, attached is the banner and logo combo, and just the logo.
    The banner is just the basic idea, im not quite done with it, fonts and ect...
    Jon

Wow, you work quickly. Good question, I like the slogan you used but change the "me" to a "you": "Owning a Domain Means People Can find You....Anywhere"

Better to spell it with the "e" and do use the ".com": "DeluxeNames.com"
    Chriag great entry, I like it BUT you spelt Owning wrong
    You have put
    'Owing a domain means people can find me anywhere'
    You missed the n out

Other than that I love it :D

I've no longer got a blank canvas :D I have a colored blank canvas lol

My Site
    My Deviantart
    i497_deluxenames.jpg

Oops. Corrected now. Feedback plz.
    Thanks for the feedback, let me fix the spelling errors (im a graphic designer, not a dictonary :D) and let me see if i can get the font color for the sloan to look good on that blue background.........

BTW, chirag, i like it :D looks good..... and dont worry about being a n00b, we all were at one point, you should see the stuff i did about a year ago, it makes me want to puke now :P

Jon

edit, fixed and whatnot
  • KilkKilk Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Well since I am a professional at Photoshop. I will be entering this contest I will whip something up and go from there.

EDIT: Here is the logo I have made and is not finished, I need comments and critz, this will be added or changed.

Direct Link to image :: http://photocan.org/images/dnlogo.gif

DeluxeNames Logo Image ::
    dnlogo.gif
    Chirag - I like it, it's straight to the point. Clear and easy to read

Jon - I loke the idea but personally I'm not sure about the orange and the font. It just doesn't seem to 'sit' right

Kilk - Nice, it's to the point, clear and easy to read.

I really should get my butt in gear and get creative, I'll be creating in PSP though as can't use photoshop :(

My Site
    My Deviantart
    Jon - I loke the idea but personally I'm not sure about the orange and the font. It just doesn't seem to 'sit' right

your right, im still trying to fix the look.... Let me see what i can do after school today :D

Jon
  • KilkKilk Junior Member Shared Hoster
    fiona2412 wrote: »
    Chirag - I like it, it's straight to the point. Clear and easy to read

Kilk - Nice, it's to the point, clear and easy to read.

I really should get my butt in gear and get creative, I'll be creating in PSP though as can't use photoshop :(

If you don't have PhotoShop get GIMPShop, it is a form of The GIMP but modified to make it almost just like Photoshop, and completely free!

Site - http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

Download for Windows - http://www.plasticbugs.com/blogimg/gimpshop_2.2.8_fix1_setup.exe

Download for Mac OSX -
    http://www.plasticbugs.com/blogimg/Gimpshop-OSX-2.2.11.dmg

I have used this program before though I prefer PhotoShop but it is a great free alternative for PS.
    i505_deluzenames3copy.jpg

Feedback plz.
  • HadrielHadriel Beginner Link Clerk
    ok, I think I'll give it a go.

i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/Hadriel2006/deluxenames_template.jpg

I'd like feedback on this one, thx.

@mod or admin:I'd appreciate if you could change the link into the image itself. Thx
    One more entry.

i524_deluxenames.jpg
    chirag wrote: »
    My try. Me a noob at photoshop. But jst a try. Feedback plz.

This is a great start Chirag. To improve it, put it in Web 2.0 format. See Bill's first post in this thread that explained Web 2.0 :)
    Hadriel wrote: »
    ok, I think I'll give it a go.
    [

Everyone, to save time in feedback, please pay attention to the feedback for Hadriel. Here's whats' good about this header/logo. Do you see how Hadriel has an abstract logo? This is key to winning. No header/logo entry will win without a logo. I've added this to the description in the first post to help:

"One of the keys to winning is to use a nice logo in Web 2.0 format, not just the words "DeluxeNames" and "DeluxeHost". This logo could be some abstract rendering of "Deluxe" or just something totally abstract and yet fitting."

Thanks everyone :)